The following marks are not registrable;
- A mark that lacks distinctiveness. Distinctive marks are marks deemed to be adapted to distinguish the goods of different owners.
- A mark that is descriptive. Descriptive marks describe the character or quality of a product for which a mark is being registered
- Generic terms. A mark is generic if the mark is the known name of the product.
- Deceptive marks. These are marks that are likely to deceive the public as to the nature, quality or any other characteristics of the goods or their geographical origin.
- Trade marks contrary to law or morality or of a scandalous design or nature.
- Marks that are similar or identical to already on the register and or pending registration